Red Room Poetry Month
Posted by Team APATA | Jul 28, 2022
Red Room Poetry launched Poetry Month in 2021 to increase awareness, access and visibility of poetry in all its forms and for all audiences.
This year, Poetry Month (1-31 August) features a blazing line-up of poetic celebrations, events and showcases in every state and territory as well as a host of ways to get involved.
From daily poems and writing prompts to online workshops, prizes and residencies, there’s a poem to fit everyone – from seasoned poetry lovers to the unversed.
- 30 in 30 – Original daily poetry commissions. Every day across Poetry Month, 30in30 delivers new original text/video poems, poet reflections and writing prompts from some of the country’s leading poets, authors, and spoken word artists.
- Poetry Ambassadors
- Poets in Residence
- Poetry Month Showcases – free and low-cost online and live events across Australia highlighting the amazing range of poets and spoken word artists.
- Poetry Month Workshops – Running every Wednesday night online via Zoom across August 2022. All are welcome to book in for any or all of the workshops. Limited places available. Suggested donation of $10 per workshop. For all poets at all levels to access online from anywhere in Australia.
- Victorian Poetry Month Gala – discover new work from passionate poets who are also widely known for their music, memoir, fiction, performance and polemic prowess, upending traditional expectations of poetry with their groundbreaking work across a range of creative expressions. Join us for an evening not to be missed, live and live-streamed from the Wheeler Centre, featuring Archie Roach, Laniyuk, Bebe Backhouse, Joelistics, Maria Takolander, Mia Nie, Jonathan Dunk and more.
- Australian Poetry Month Gala – The National Poetry Month Gala showcases a rich feast of contemporary poets such as Eunice Andrada, Kirli Saunders, Jacqui Malins and Scott-Patrick Mitchell alongside PM Literary Award for Poetry winners Omar Sakr and Sarah Holland-Batt, and the host of ABC’s The Art Show Daniel Browning. Hosted by Alex Lee the night also features comedians and actors including Nat’s What I Reckon, Sacha Horler and Nina Oyama reading their favourite Australian poems, as well as a special musical performance by Ben Salter. More artists to be announced soon.
Go to the Red Room Poetry Month webpage to book tickets, register for workshops and sign up to the Poetry Month newsletter for updates. https://redroompoetry.org/projects/poetry-month/