Red Room Poetry – Poetry in Motion
Posted by Red Room Poetry | Mar 18, 2021
Happy World Poetry Day – 21 March 2021
On Sunday, World Poetry Day, Red Room Poetry will launch the inaugural #PoetryMonth which runs throughout August 2021.
Poetry Month (1–31 August) is a new initiative presented by Red Room Poetry to increase the profile of Australian poetry, poets and publishers. Our goal is to increase access, awareness, value and visibility of poetry in all its forms and for all audiences. The inaugural Poetry Month will be held during August 2021 as an ongoing annual celebration.
Join us for a Facebook Live on World Poetry Day as we launch the inaugural #PoetryMonth. This event is packed with poetic goodness:
- Feature readings by poets Evelyn Araluen, Eileen Chong, Jaya Savige, Phil Wilcox and Caitlin Maling
- Performances by musician Ben Salter, comedian Vidya Rajan, and spoken word artist Luka Lesson
- The world-premier of Fair Trade and commissioned poem co-written by Ali Cobby Eckermann and US Poet Laureate Joy Harjo.
- Announcement of the Red Room Poetry Fellowship 2021
- A special publisher Q&A with Aviva Tuffield
WHAT IS POETRY MONTH?
As a way to increase to profiles of Australian Poets, Red Room Poetry will be starting a new initiative for 2021.
1-31 August 2021 will welcome the first Poetry Month with an aim to up the ante regarding “access, awareness, value and visibility of poetry in all its forms and for all audiences.”
Leading up to and across the month of August Red Room’s Poetry Month will roll out:
- 30in30 [daily high profile poetic commissions], Middle of the Air [poetry meets song-writing competition and adaptations] and Fair Trade [an international First People’s poetic exchange]
- partnered poetry and spoken word Online Showcases
- a range of workshops across all forms
- physical and digital Poets in Residence [alongside existing Poetry Fellowship]
- Line Break a live-streamed show featuring poetry and reviews
- engaging a range of Poetry Ambassadors
- a community and sector driven national Poetry Month Events Calendar
- participatory initiatives Poem in Your Pocket and Write a Poem-a-day [with daily prompts and prizes]
- a national youth poetry competition POEM FOREST
Poetry Month is constantly evolving. If you’d like to contact Red Room Poetry in regards to possible partnerships or sponsorship – or how your organisation can be involved, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Room Poetry (RR) is Australia’s leading organisation for commissioning, creating, publishing and promoting poetry in meaningful ways.