Queensland Theatre – Theatre Residency Week
Posted by APATA Published by Queensland Theatre | Nov 18, 2023
Theatre Residency Week (TRW) is an intensive theatre camp for students in Years 9–12. It is the longest running theatre program of its kind in Australia and over the past five decades, young actors from all over the country have attended the camp and participated in workshops, masterclasses and other performance activities.
Queensland Theatre is proud of the impact this program has had across generations of theatre artists.
THEATRE RESIDENCY WEEK NORTH QUEENSLAND 2024
Monday 8 April (9am) – Friday 12 April (3pm)
Townsville Grammar School
Theatre Residency Week is an intensive theatre camp for students in Years 8-12. At 53 consecutive years, is the longest running theatre program of its kind in Australia. Young artists from all over the country have attended the yearly camp and participated in workshops, masterclasses, forum discussions with practicing theatre makers, and attend incursions and excursions.
In 2024 Queensland Theatre is once again partnering with TheatreiNQ, and this year will join with Townsville Grammar to deliver Theatre Residency Week North Queensland on the grounds of the beautiful Townsville Grammar School.
What activities are included?
Students will live on campus at Townsville Grammar School, North Ward, in its boarding facilities and spend each day developing their acting skills through workshops conducted by core group artists who have a speciality in a particular style of theatre. The work culminates in a performance on the final day for a live audience of family and friends.
The evenings are spent engaged in an exciting social and cultural program supervised by live-in house parents, who are also all Queensland Theatre staff and teaching artists. Opportunity to network with leading industry artists from TheatreiNQ, Queensland Theatre, the Aboriginal Centre for the Performing Arts, and the Townsville community.
How is it supervised?
In the daily workshop program student choose core group activities to suit their interests. Each of these core groups (usually between 15-20 students) are facilitated by experienced Teaching Artists, carefully selected by TheatreiNQ and Queensland Theatre.
For their pastoral care, participants are divided into House Parent Groups of approximately 15 students. All the House Parents are experienced in working with young people. All staff onsite have a Working with Children Check by the Queensland Government, and several staff will be trained in first aid. Students are supervised at all times and staff exercise their utmost duty of care in the undertaking of the week. In return we also require students to exhibit their best self-care and respect of others during the week.
What does it cost?
- Core group and afternoon workshop tuition
- 4 nights accommodation in dorm style rooms at Townsville Grammar School
- All meals, including morning and afternoon tea
- Tickets to a live theatre production and a touring in-school performance
- All-inclusive social and cultural program, including networking opportunities, a panel with theatre artists and other social activities
- Payment plans are available
What scholarships are available?
Queensland Theatre’s Remote and Regional Scholarship (two available)
For students who live over 100km from Townsville and would benefit from financial support to gain access to TRW NQ. This scholarship pays for the program cost only.
How to apply for a scholarship:
· Indicate on your online application whether you intend to apply for a scholarship. Your scholarship application will only be assessed if you are offered a place at Theatre Residency Week NQ.
· Attach a letter (200-250 words) or submit an online link to a video or audio recording (5 mins max) explaining:
- What are the challenges in the way of you participating in this program?
- What will getting this scholarship mean to you?
· Please address your letter to Queensland Theatre
· You may also wish to attach additional documents like a supporting reference letter of CV.
How to apply
There is a limited number of places available at Theatre Residency Week NQ. All applicants will be asked to include responses to the following questions:
- What do you think you would gain from the TRWNQ experience?
- What drama or acting experience do you already have?
Complete the online application form here: CLICK HERE
To Learn More – head to the Queensland Theatre webpage and explore the 2024 season line!
Applications for Theatre Residency Week NQ close on Sunday 28 January 2024