BrisAsia LIVE Emerging Artist Residency 2020
Posted by APATA | Nov 8, 2019
Sounds Across Oceans is a not-for-profit music organisation established by composer/educator Dr. Anthony Garcia, to explore and promote a more holistic vision of music and its role in society. Through innovative education programs, workshops, festival curation, and performances that focus on collaboration, improvisation, and experimentation SAO builds bridges between genres, cultures, and communities.
Sounds Across Oceans approach fosters inclusivity and explores how the arts across disciplines, can come together to offer the world solutions in finding meaning as well as having fun.
Sounds Across Oceans in collaboration with QUT Creative Industries Precinct:
THE LOVE INN
WORKSHOP – JAM – COLLABORATE – CREATE – PERFORM
Expression of Interest to participate
A call to young and emerging artists to collaborate, jam, create and perform new cross-disciplinary art works for BrisAsia Festival 2020.
Applications Close: Midnight Friday Jan 15, 2020
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
BrisAsia LIVE is a new creative development program combining music, dance and digital art.
The program is designed to offer young emerging artists;
- mentorship and guidance in refining existing musical compositions (streamed across genres)
- mentorship and guidance in contemporary dance (hip hop/freestyle/experimental)
- support in developing new cross-cultural fusions (music/dance/digital art)
- opportunities to work with artists from diverse cultures and disciplines
- a unique platform for performance (BrisAsia Festival 2020)
- develop artistic and creative assets (photos, video, networks and relationships)
Selected participants will work with a team of Brisbane’s leading professional artists across styles, genres and disciplines from contemporary to traditional, cross-cultural fusion and more. You will become part of the BrisAsia LIVE Creative Collective and will perform in the inaugural BRISASIA LOVE INN concert on Valentine’s Day, 2020 (Feb 14)
MEET YOUR MENTORS
The creative collective will work in-residency through a series of workshops between January- February 2020 to build a program that combines music, dance and digital art displays.
To be part of BrisAsia LIVE tell SOUNDS ACROSS OCEANS in 300 words or less why you want to be involved and share with them your creative work (links/attachments). (age 15-25 *guideline only)
ABOUT BRISASIA FESTIVAL
BrisAsia Festival, presented by Brisbane City Council, is one of our cities premier cultural events celebrating Asian and intercultural arts, cuisine, culture and philosophy. From the ancient to the contemporary, community events, concerts, parties, discussion forums and creative sector engagement the festival aims to foster a shared sense of belonging—to celebrate and create life, art and culture together.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Individuals and groups between aged 15-25yrs (*age guideline only) from an Asian background or who have a strong interest, knowledge and or experience working in Asian art forms and Asian cultural practices.
- Rap artists, instrumentalists, singers, producers, contemporary dancers, multi-media performers
- Traditional folk musicians, contemporary musicians and dancers
WHAT IS THE COMMITMENT?
STAGE ONE: WORKSHOP PROGRAM (JAN 2020)
- 1 x 3hr discipline specific workshop MUSIC/DANCE (January 2020)
- 2 x 3hr fusion workshop combining music and dance (January 2020)
- Weekend and or weekday afternoon workshops are available for younger students or those with weekday commitments
- Share | Listen | Experiment | Collaborate | Design Program
STAGE TWO: REHEARSAL PROCESS (FEB 2020)
- 2 x 3hr Rehearsals (programmed between Feb 3-12)
PERFORMANCE: THE LOVE INN Valentine’s Day February 14, 2020 @THE BLOCK QUT Creative Industries Precinct
- Artists will perform at least one pre-existing or newly created original work live
- Some works will fuse music and dance
- Some works will fuse music, dance and projected imagery
*Please note that the program is a free subsidised program and the commitment is voluntary.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Remember to be part of BrisAsia LIVE you must tell SOUNDS ACROSS OCEANS in 300 words or less why you want to be involved and share with them your creative work.
- Email EOI including cover letter, individual or group BIO and LINKS (audio/video) (age 15-25 *guideline only)
- Cover letter should include your story, why you want to be involved, what you would bring to the program and what you hope to learn.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0432 036 496 or 0417 177 965
Applications close: Midnight 15th January 2020