APATA Member Spotlight: S.T.A.D.S
Posted by Team APATA | May 20, 2021
APATA Member Spotlight: Meet S.T.A.D.S.
Introducing Sarah’s.Theatre.And.Drama.Skills (S.T.A.D.S) – A Performing Arts school promoting confidence and training in all aspects of acting, singing and dancing and advocating local government recognition of the arts in Wollondilly, NSW. All while having fun of course!
What classes does S.TA.D.S have?
S.T.A.D.S is a combination of over 30 yrs singing and acting training, performance and early childhood education combined into performance classes for kids 2yrs to adults.
- hip hop and boys hip hop
- musical theatre dance,
- jazz/funk/hip hop fusion
- adult latin & salsa/ latin fit
- carers and bubs
- All facets of being on and offstage
- street theatre
- theatre sport,
- prop building
- script writing and character development
Singing (7yrs- adult) & Exam Performance and Audition Assistance
The students were kept busy last year filming their performances so they could be shared with their community when able. A terrific way to keep students engaged, active and motivated during the uncertainty of last year’s lockdowns.
S.T.A.D.S Agency and Professional Opportunities.
Alongside the studio is the S.T.A.D.S Agency which creates opportunities for professional work. S.T.A.D.S has been involved in some of the biggest film and television projects in NSW in the last ten years, showcasing much of their talent to directors like Baz Luhrmann, Mel Gibson and Bruce Beresford. Founder Sarah Schols has worked alongside her students in seasons of ‘A Place Called Home” and other Australian productions providing her students and clients with rewarding industry experiences that are certain to fuel their passion for performance as they continue their arts journey.
Sarah also oversees the Wollondilly Shire’s Youth Initiative, giving young people in the community the opportunity to run all aspects of a production. The proposed Wollondilly Performing Arts Centre, set to become the heart of the Wollondilly Cultural Precinct, will be greatly welcomed by the S.T.A.D.S team. “Besides providing a flexible , multi-purpose space supporting the community, it will also provide safe and inclusive venue for a wide range of formal and informal events and activities.” says the Wollondilly Shire Council.
S.T.A.D.S School Values
- Individual attention: We want to guarantee that each student that is with us at S.T.A.D.S is provided the 1 on 1 attention they deserve! From our staff to you- that is our promise and guarantee.
- Growth: In their confidence, their art, their maturity… we nurture and want to be actively involved in each students growth. Each year we are amazed at the growth in our students from term 1 to term 4! It is the most rewarding before and after!
- Educational: As well as being fun and interactive we ensure that our classes are educational! Each lesson has purpose, intention and drive to educate your miss or mister in singing, dance or drama!
- Acceptance: “Be somebody who makes everyone feel like a somebody”. Young, old, tall, short, experienced, beginner… you are all welcome to walk through our doors!
- Non-competitive: Learning and creating in a non-competitive environment, just the way we like it! We want your after school activity to be your outlet from your busy day!
Meet S.T.A.D.S. Founder- Sarah Schols
S.T.A.D.S is a combination of over 30 yrs singing and acting training, performance and early childhood education combined into performance classes for kids and adults. To date S.T.A.D.S. Founder and Managing Director, Sarah Schols, has had 30 lead roles in Musical, Comedy & Dramatic productions:
“Annie Get Your Gun”; “Jane Eyre” (Musical World Premiere); “A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum”; “West Side Story”; “Leader Of The Pack”; “The Heartbreak Kid”; “Les Miserables” ( Eponine – 3 times)”; “The Caucasian Chalk Circle”; “Other Times” (2nd in “The Summer Of The 17th Doll Trilogy”); “Godspell”; “Cosi”; “Jesus Christ Superstar”; “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”; “Phantom of the Opera”; “The Sound of Music”; “Wicked” and numerous original productions.
A fortuitous moment performing in ‘Annie Get Your Gun’ with 24hours notice at the age of 15, gained Sarah a recommendation for Scholarship to the Australian Theatre for Young People [ATYP].
From that moment she was hooked and hasn’t looked back.
Writer, Producer, Actress, Singer, Talent Agent, Mum and Educator, Sarah is a great example of making things happen.
- Trained with ATYP, NIDA and the Sydney Theatre Company and numerous professional and amateur singing appearances.
- Was the vocal coach / singing instructor for Season Five of ‘A Place to Call Home.’
- Featured in ‘Beneath Black Skies’ – Winner of the National Heritage Trust award and premiered on the History channel.
- Written and Directed “Growing up in the Dilly” Documentary which has been featured at the NSW YAC 2013 meeting and used for training Youth services.
- Sings in the acclaimed Pink Floyd cover band ‘Shine on’.
- Is the lead role of ‘Angel Ruby’ in the values series ‘Earthic us – We care’
- Studied at the Australian Institute of Music specialising in classical / contemporary vocal technique.
- Studied Early Childhood Education &…
- Worked as an advisor and developer for Wakakirri [winner of the 2021 Excellence in Performing Arts Education APATA Award]
To learn more about S.T.A.D.S enrolment or Agency head to S.T.A.D.S.com